Friday, November 21, 2008

Ruminations by Sister P.

Hello Saints,

I decided to blog today... it's been awhile since I have... so today is the day to spew my thoughts into cyberspace for anyone who may care to indulge me. If not, now's a good time as any to press the "delete" button located towards the right on your keyboard... (smile).

Hmmmm, let's see where should I begin... OH I KNOW... my newfound reputation... yes... I've beencalled every name in the book in the course of my life, so why not one more to add to it... the new oneis... Bible Thumping Jesus Freak. Hmmmm, Bible Thumping Jesus Freak, now what thoughts floodyour mind when you read those four words? Please join me in my ruminations... I got that word "ruminating" from Pastor Ho... some of you may know who Pastor Ho is... he's a smart and cool dude.

So how in the world, did I become a Bible Thumper Jesus Freak? Not only this, but I was told I comeout of the movie The Shining... I actually have not seen that movie, believe it or not... I know about it though, I mean, how could you not, when everyone under the sun was talking about it... and walkingaround saying Red Rum, Red Rum... that's disgusting, but anyway... let's move forward with my ruminations on Bible Thumping Jesus Freak...

I looked up the word Bible Thumping and here is the definition:

Bible thumper (also Bible beater, Bible basher) is a pejorative term used to describe Christian fundamentalists, or anyone perceived as aggressively pushing their Christian beliefs upon those who do not share them. Its target domain is broad and can often extend to anyone engaged in a public show of religion, fundamentalist or not. The term alludes to a preacher thumping his hand hard down on the Bible to emphasize a point during a sermon.

Ok, so... I was referred to as a Bible thumper, and as it describes above, I am supposedly perceived as aggressively pushing my Christian beliefs upon those who do not share them. Interesting huh? Well, I never thought of myself as a person who pushes my faith on others. But I can say I'm certainly zealous, passionate and excited about the things of God, which propels me at times to share it with others. I can't imagine myself slamming down on a Bible though, I'm more prone to point than slam (smile).

Ok, now on to the next term, Jesus Freak:

What's a Jesus Freak? The words "Jesus Freaks" were first coined in the late sixties, when hippies became part of a new revival, the Jesus Movement. It was then when music, poetry, and an open expression for Jesus Christ turned a new generation on to God. It merged rock and roll with the Gospel message, a wave we're still riding today known as contemporary Christian Music. It infused the Church with the arts. It shook up conventional worship. And, due to its "in your face" approach, it had a backlash. The rest of the world called these over-zealous young people "Jesus Freaks" as a derogatory term. But decades later a new generation is embracing that same passion for expression.

Hey, Hey, Hey... I'm LIKING that definition! And yes, that definitely describes me alright! So, I'm dumpin the thumpin but keepin the freak!

You know what amazes me in all of this... people can be fanatical about sports, clothes, politics andwhat have you... chew your ear off for hours over utter nonsense that doesn't even matter... but God forbid you bring up the word "Jesus" and all hell breaks loose. All of a sudden, you are a Jesus Freak, when you were once referred as some nice chick. So, I guess it really doesn't matter to them that God came down to earth and took the form of a man, just so that He can betortured, suffer and die for the sins we commit against Him every day... ohhhhhh, I see, sooooo I'm a Jesus Freak... ok... cool... Now mind you, I'm not into scaring people off... Like I said, I'm passionate about God... and I guess I want for others what I want for myself; freedom, peace and love. If you take the time to look around you, people are basically miserable... they walk around in a quiet desperation... with all their hurt, pain and suffering... all they want is for it to go away. And all I want and desire is for them to grab hold of Jesus... because He holds the key to their existence. Everything they long for, everything they desire. The deep groaning of their heart, the void of their soul, the loneliness that plagues them daily... the incessant tugging, the restlessness, the hunger of something more they can't quite put their finger on... Only propels them to run into the arms of another man, woman or both... or perhaps it's drugs, alcohol, food or material possessions they run to, whatever it is... we run to these things to ignore, deny and escape from the reality of the condition of our souls... we need to run into the arms of the only person who can satisfy the inner longings of our hearts and quench our thirsty souls... His name is Jesus Christ. If we choose Him, we choose Life... because Jesus is the way, the truth and the life... He is everything we will ever need and want. He holds the key to it all, just grab hold of Him and there is no telling what God will do in and through your life if or when you do.

So, I guess it ain't so bad being called a Jesus Freak after all... and so what if people talk about me,or call me names, even downright laugh or mock me... so what! I know deep down that my Heavenly Father smiles at me and is well pleased. And at the end of the day, that's all that really matters, notwhat people think or say about me, but what God thinks and says about me. Noone will ever loveme the way He does anyway, I'm convinced of this... so I'd rather be a Jesus Freak any time, any day, any where. Glory, Glory! Thanks for taking the time in reading my ruminations... have a blessed weekend.

In His love,
Sister P.

No comments: