Friday, March 20, 2009

The man with the withered hand...

Hello Saints...

I was talking to my brother for a bit yesterday and, I don't recall what exactly we were discussing, but I began to make reference to the parable in Matthew Chapter 12:9-13, of theman with the withered hand.

9And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:
10And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.

Now, picture this, you are growing up around these self-righteous, critical, religious people that will judge you for the slightest difference you have. This poor man had to grow up surrounded by these supposed perfect pious people... I'm sure he felt the inclination of hiding his hand from the scorn, ridicule and shame all his life... He knew he was different from the others, he had a disability; his withered hand.

So along comes Jesus... (smile)... it's the Sabbath, noone is suppose to do anything on the Sabbath, much less heal anyone! The man with the withered hand had to make a choice... either to risk exposing his withered hand so that Jesus could heal him or not...

I'm sorry, but that had to be difficult for him... all the old voices rising up in him, the fears of exposing his withered hand once again in front of his critical peers... and then, the doubts rose up, in that he thought of the possibility that what if his hand wouldn't be healed? I can just imagine what must of been going throughthis man's mind... But when Jesus said, "Stretch forth thine hand", he stretched it forth and Jesus healed him!!

Wow!!! That must have been such an amazing thing to witness, I wish I was there... as a matter of fact, I can't wait to talk to him up in Heaven and asked him how he felt and what it was like when Jesus healed him.I'm going to interview him up in there HA HA HA!

All joking aside... don't we all have a withered hand we are hiding? I know I do... which is why this parable touched me so... Jesus wants us to risk being vulnerable and exposed, so that He can ultimately heal us. It's like when you have an infection, if you cover it and don't expose it to air and such, it won't heal but get worse!

Jesus is our Great Physician and He longs for us to expose that "thing", whatever it is we've been hiding, so that He can heal it once and for all.

I end this meditation with a song I was listening to this morning by Sara Groves called, "It's Going to be Alright"and it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9yNZ17j8Fg

Have a blessed day and weekend!

In His love,Sister P.

No comments: