Friday, April 1, 2011

Sugar vs Sin

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments; his praise endureth for ever. Psalm 111:10.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.  Proverbs 9:10.


You are probably wondering about my title and I don't blame you.  But it will all make sense in a minute.  Lately, I've been making changes as a result of educating myself on healthy eating.  I have to say it's been overwhelming and mind blowing. 

I have been reading a lot about sugar and the effects on the body and mind.  I truly believe between this and the growth hormones they inject into chicken, beef and pork, the mercury and toxins in fish, etc... is what is making people sick.  Plus, children are being born with autism, allergies and asthma.   I believe it is a direct correlation to what we are breathing, eating and drinking.  My eldest son was born with massive food allergies and chronic asthma.
 
You probably are saying to yourself, well, we are going to die anyway, so what's the use?   For a long time, I thought this same way too.  
 
Through the years, the Lord had me cross paths with so many different people who went alternative, macrobiotic, vegetarian and organic.  I knew it was the right way, but I always resisted it for some reason.  A series of events lead me to finally submit to God in this area.  Ultimately, it was God all along who was directing me while I was resisting. 
 
Isn't that what we tend to do?  We know something is good for us, or is the right thing, but we don't want to submit to it?  For example, the Bible says, to flee fornication... but some of us don't...
 
Sugar:  How can something that tastes so good be so bad? 
Sin:  How can something that feels so good be so bad? 
 
Sugar gives a temporary high, but can ultimately kill us, just like sin will.  What you are not seeing is killing you.  But God gives us a choice...
 
You can't see what sugar is doing to your mind and body, just like you can't see what sin is doing to your heart and spirit. 
 
The Bible tells us that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.  He's not saying to be petrified of Him, it's more like honor, respect and reverence.  The Lord doesn't want us relying on our own wisdom.  He actually takes pleasure in our going to Him and asking Him for direction.  As a result, the Holy Spirit gives us wisdom. 
 
Ultimately, what you put in, is what comes out... whatever you feed on is what you become.  So choose wisely :)
 
I am ending this with my 4 year old's favorite song... I get such a kick out of watching him sing it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgBNQWR4a-0 

2 comments:

Greg Goode said...

That's great! Sugar as sin for the body, sin as toxin for the soul!

jeanne said...

I hope that people will listen to you as you have always been one to experience first and then educate others. ;)