Tuesday, July 19, 2011

BookSneeze Book Review: Jesus, My Father, The CIA and Me by Ian Morgan Cron


Ian Morgan Cron is an Episcopal priest, speaker, and acclaimed author of Chasing Francis: A Pilgrim's Tale.  His literary debut received accolades from the archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams; Brian McLaren; Fr. Richard Rohr; Phyliss Tickle; Tony Campolo; Brennan Manning; and artist Fujimura.  Ian is currently the curator of the Conversations on Courage and Faith Series at Christ Episcopal Church in Greenwich, Connecticut, and a doctoral student at Fordham University, where he is studying Christian spirituality.



I am so grateful to BookSneeze, in sending me a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes.  I appreciate the opportunity of reading such great books such as this one and being able to review it. 

I really wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I was totally intrigued by the title.  Ian Morgan Cron calls his book a 'memoir of sorts' and that it is. 

Ian Morgan Cron grew up with a father who was a CIA agent and who also had a massive drinking problem. As I read, I sensed the underlying disconnect and suffering that this reality caused him. He was desperate to have a 'normal' and 'healthy' relationship with his father. He blamed himself and believed that there was something terribly wrong with him for his own father not to want to interact with him and love him.

As a result, he grew up questioning everything, especially given the fact that things were kept a secret, such as his father being in the CIA. He also had to endure the verbal and physical abuse caused by his father drinking and mental illness (which he learned later on). He even lost his faith in God too. However, in the midst of surviving the chaos and insanity, there comes a pivotal moment by which he has an encounter with Jesus.

All I can say is... what an amazing book!  The title cleverly depicts what this book is about. His memoir is filled with metaphors and humor. Ian Morgan Cron is a brilliant and entertaining writer. He writes so well that I was able to visualize and feel everything. I laughed and cried throughout this book.

I have read many memoirs in my lifetime, but not like this one. I highly recommend it and truly look forward to reading his next book.

No comments: