Monday, August 1, 2011

WaterBrook Multnomah Book Review: PrayerWalking by Janet Holm McHenry

Janet Holm McHenry is the author of numerous books, including Daily PrayerWalk and PrayerStreaming.  A high-school English, journalism, and creative writing teacher, she is the mother of four adult children.  Janet has been prayerwalking for more than thirteen years and is the leader of her church's prayer ministry.






How many of us have made New Year's resolutions that we didn't keep with regards to eating healthier, losing weight and praying more?  I know I am guilty as charged.  Well, if you are like me, then this book is definitely for you. 

This book can be called an instruction guide on praying and walking.   Janet Holm McHenry really does a superb job in thoroughly describing the benefits of praying and walking in her book. 

She begins with a motivating, "If I Can Do It, You Can Do it."  She describes her personal struggle with depression and her overall health.  She explains that she needed to make a change, by exercising and also spending more time in prayer.  So she decided to incorporate both by ''Prayer Walking".

She then tackles the old adage, "I have no time or there isn't enough time..."  This really stood out for me because I really don't have much time.  But after reading the following excerpt, I realized I had no excuse, "The problem for us Christians is that we often can get so entrenched and busied by many good things--even things done in Christ's name--that these good things actually distract us from the Lord and what he would want us to do."  So true.

Janet Holm McHenry touches on the why, what, when, where and how of prayer walking.  I guarantee you that after you finish reading this book, you will find yourself wanting to find the time to walk and pray.  I can say that as a result of reading this book, I too started to implement what I learned from this book.  I am now praying while walking to and from work in the morning and evening.  I'm realizing it's a great time to pray and intercede for my city and community.

I want to say thank you to WaterBrook Multnomah for sending me a complimentary copy to review.  I am so grateful to have read this book, it is truly a gem! 

2 comments:

Toyin O. said...

This sounds like a really good read, thanks for sharing.

Amanda said...

Yes. Im interested in reading it now.