Thursday, March 29, 2012

Don't Look Back














 
"But Lot's wife looked back as she was following behind him, and she turned into a pillar of salt." Genesis 19:26 (NLT)

I've been thinking a lot about Lot's wife lately.  How she looked back and turned into a pillar of salt.  Very sobering.  I thought about what she must have been thinking or felt when she looked back.  I tried putting myself in her shoes.  

What would cause me to look back if I were her?  Hmmm... well, for one, curiosity.  Here she was running behind Lot and I believe the temptation to see what was happening behind her compelled her to look back.  I know I would have looked back, especially if there was a lot of commotion and destruction going on.  I mean really, think about it, wouldn't you be tempted to look back and see what was going on?  

However, God did command them to run and not look back.  But I think the whole situation got the best of her.  Maybe she was leaving friends behind who were getting destroyed.  Wow, I know that would definitely have me preoccupied.

How often do we find ourselves looking back into our pasts?  I can admit that I do it quite often.  What makes me think of my past?  I guess the number one reason for me is regret.  If only I did this, if only I didn't do that, if only I didn't date so and so, if only I finished college, if only, if only and if only is my mantra.  

I realized that there are some things in life that you just can't reverse.  Yes, we would all like to press a button, go back into our past and fix it.  But that is impossible.  We spend useless amounts of time and mental energy thinking of what we could have done differently.  But we can't undo our pasts, we can only learn from it and move forward.  

Some of you may have had amazing pasts and wish you can go back and live them over again.  It's ok to have good memories, but to relive or hold on to the way things were or used to be is not healthy.  

God wants us to let go of our pasts and keep our eyes forward, much like He wanted Lot's wife to do.  He wants us to be free and not bound to our pasts.

Whenever you start looking back, just look to Jesus.  Our God is a big and awesome God.  He is in control and allows everything to happen for a reason, even when we don't understand it.  He allows things to happen for our good.  He has good plans for those who love Him.  His plans are not to harm us but to help us.  

We really need to trust Him with everything; our past, present and future.  He really does know what He is doing and what is best for us, better than we ever will.

So please be encouraged today and remember... Don't look back. 

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

2 comments:

unknownjim said...

Fantastic post. It's so easy to only look back and not look forward. Love Jeremiah 29:11-one of my favorite verses.

Pilar Arsenec said...

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting. It means a lot.