Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Facing Your Fear | by Pilar V. Arsenec


I tell ya, there is nothing like blogging to face your fear.  

Blogging takes courage.  It's definitely not for the faint at heart.  

So why am I doing it you ask?

The answer is... (drum roll please), I haven't the foggiest.  I'm just compelled to write.

I begin by looking at my computer screen while eating a mouth watering almond croissant from Au Bon Pain.®  Ever try them? They're loaded with high calorie goodness which helps soothe my anxious soul (or at least I'd like to believe that).

Surely this delicious croissant will inspire me to write... not.  I proceed to crumple the Au Bon Pain paper bag and shoot it into a recyclable trash bin.  Drat!... I missed.

I then stare at a very blank screen hoping some brilliant idea will come to me.  When suddenly I begin hearing those familiar voices pervading my consciousness.  Let me introduce you to my faithful companions.

Ms. Perfectionist:

"Goodness gracious!!  Oh.My.Gosh.  Seriously??  What are you doing staring at the screen???  Hel-loooo!!  Wake up!  Are you there?  Will you puh-leeze (which means, please) get over yourself.  Write.  Just write something.  ANY-thing!!  How can you call yourself a writer?? 

Ms. Fear replies with her usual exhaled sigh:

"Okaaay.... I'm tryin'... But..."

Ms. Perfectionist interrupts:  

"But... but... but what?!  I do not even want to hear the word "But" ok?  Are we understanding each other here?  Just stop all the dilly-dallying and get to work already!"

Ms. Fear whines:

"I will... I will... But... I don't know if I can really do this. I don't know if I'm a writer, or if I'm even suppose to write.  I have a blog... but there are so many great writers out there. They write so much better than I do. How can I even compete?  And what if noone likes me?  What if I fail or I'm rejected?  Ohhhh noooo.  I don't know if I can do this.  I. Just. Don't. Know."

Sound familiar?

Listen to the advice of a favorite author who tweeted me this last week. "If you're writing, you're a writer. Ignore your narcissism and bad self esteem. Write a little, badly, daily, now." ~ Anne Lamott

Well, that pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?  So I decided to let Ms. Perfectionist and Ms. Fearful duke it out while I write.

How about you?  What is preventing you from pursuing your dreams or doing what you love?  

 © 2012, Pilar V. Arsenec

11 comments:

Soundsblue said...

Well this post definitely has my name written all over it Pilar! You have just addressed every issue that has kept me from blogging! I have something worth sharing and need to just dive in! Thanks for the encouragement.

Pilar Arsenec said...

It is my pleasure. You are not alone :) Glad to be of encouragement. Thank you for commenting, I appreciate it very much.

Katherine Harms said...

I believe it was Anne Lamott in "Bird by Bird" who also said that you simply have to get that "shitty first draft" done. Get it out. Get it over with. Get on to the good stuff. I have to listen to that frightful cacaphony of doom every time I sit down, too. I am profoundly grateful for people like Michael Hyatt and Anne Lamott who keep pushing me to do what I am called to do.

Pilar Arsenec said...

Oh really? Thanks for telling me that. "Bird by Bird" is definitely on my must read list. I loved that she tweeted that quote to me. It came at the right time too. I am also grateful. Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

pilararsenec said...

Oh really? Thanks for telling me that. "Bird by Bird" is definitely on
my must read list. I loved that she tweeted that quote to me. It came
at the right time too. I am also grateful. Thank you for your
thoughtful comment.

pilararsenec said...

It is my pleasure. You are not alone :) Glad to be of encouragement. Thank you for commenting, I appreciate it very much.

Marc Alan Schelske said...

Good for you! I love the Anne Lamott quote and will be stealing it.

Marc Alan Schelske said...

Good for you!  I love the Anne Lamott quote, and will be stealing it for my own use.  Keep up the good work.

pilararsenec said...

Thanks so much for commenting and for your encouragement.  It means a lot to me.  Blessings to you!!

Susannadathur said...

that voice could be mine, pilar (along with a love for au bain pan almond croissants). Soooo many people are trying to do what I am trying to do, write a good book. Thanks for the encouragement.

pilararsenec said...

 Thanks so much for commenting.  I am so glad my post encouraged you. :)