Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Shadowboxing


"Shadowboxing is an exercise used in the training for combat sports, especially, as its name implies, in boxing. It is used mainly to prepare the muscles before the person training engages in stronger physical activity. In shadowboxing, only one person is required to participate; the participant throws punches at no one in particular." (Wikipedia)

I used to box and my least favorite thing to do was shadowbox.

In shadowboxing, you practice your movement and punches; jab, upper cut, right hook and combinations.  You basically have to "act" or "pretend" you are boxing with an imaginary opponent.

I dreaded shadowboxing because I felt silly and self-conscious doing it in front of everyone at the gym.

Keep in mind, there were only a few female boxers training at Gleason's Gym over 15 years ago.

I remember the first time I walked into that joint.  The air hung thick with testosterone and wreaked of sweat.  So you can just imagine the looks I got.

Shadowboxing is an art, a dance and I enjoyed watching the other boxers do it.  But when it came to me, forget about it.  I would get in the ring and feel like the entire world was staring at me.

But I was determined to learn how to box despite the awkwardness.  I had to press through my fear, insecurity, self-consciousness and just do it.

I was actually shadowboxing two people; my imagined opponent and myself.

I am still shadowboxing today, just not in the ring.
"Shadowboxing can also mean trying to overcome a negative stereotyped self-image that prevents you from achieving success." (Wikipedia)
I'm shadowboxing against the accusations of the enemy.  I'm shadowboxing the bad memories of my past.  I'm shadowboxing each time I write and the fear of not being good enough rears its ugly head.

But thanks be to God, I'm not shadowboxing alone anymore.  I have the best coach in my corner who's got my back.  He believes in me.  He tells me I can do it.  He says I'm a winner.  He reminds me I am worthy and more than a conqueror. (Romans 8:37)

How about you?  Are you shadowboxing alone in the ring called life?  Have you met my coach Jesus Christ yet?  If not, I'll be more than happy to introduce you to Him.

JSX9DCCR79PH © Pilar V. Arsenec