Friday, June 1, 2012

What's Stopping You?



As I'm writing this, my five year old son is in the emergency room.  He was playing in the park, when he decided to make like Superman and land on his chin.  Thankfully, he didn't need stitches.  The joy of having boys.

Isn't it interesting how children have no fear?  Children honestly believe they can fly until gravity and pain remind them.  I guess it's the same with us.

I wonder at what point does fear start to invade our being?  When life somehow stops us from believing?

When I was a child, I was adventurous and took risks.  I think back and cringe at the many things that could have killed me.  I'm talking some crazy stuff okay?

But somewhere along the way, I too became afraid.  I stopped believing.  I stopped dreaming.

In Matthew 18:3, Jesus says, "Verily I say unto you, Except you be converted, and become as little children, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

Another translation says this, "Unless you change and become like little children..."

Jesus is saying we need to be childlike, not childish.  Being childlike is having a sense of wonder, purity and innocence.  As adults, what I believe prevents us from being childlike is a hard heart.

We allow the hurt, pain, unforgiveness along the way to harden us.  Our hearts become blocked by sin, where we are unable to see clearly. 

Think of it like fog on a windshield or static from a radio. You can't see and you can't hear.

A broken heart is unable to tune into the right frequency.

However, do not despair for there is hope.  God so desires to restore our broken hearts and give us a new one.

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." Ezekiel 36:26

What a promise.  I can tell you from firsthand experience, God is in the business of healing and restoration.  We just have to be willing to go to Him with our broken hearts.  He delights in making all things new. 

Be encouraged today.  God is not finished with you yet.  The best is yet to come.


Do you struggle with fear?  Unbelief?  What is stopping you from believing in God's promises?
  


12 comments:

Kelly Combs said...

Great post Pilar. God isn't finished with you, or me, and he did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power. Amen!

pilararsenec said...

My favorite person Kelly Combs, thanks so much for commenting.  Yes, I love that scripture.  I have to repeat it to myself over and over again. :) 

Dayna Renee Hackett Bickham said...

Wow. What a great lesson in becoming fearless! Really great post! 

Mr.B said...

You mean there is still hope for me ? I'm ready to lose this stone and welcome a new flesh heart.

Mr.B said...

Very encouraging. I for one know the story of hardened heart syndrome. When society says you have to be "strong", or "Men don't cry" , only God's word that can free our hearts from the stone, disconnected heart condition.

Pilar Arsenec said...

Dayna, you made my day.  Thank you so much for commenting.  I really appreciate it. 

Tammy Helfrich said...

Great post, Pilar! I agree. We have to be willing to let God work in us. That's usually the hardest point to get to. But, once you do, it is amazing to see what happens. So excited to follow your blog!

Pilar Arsenec said...

 Thank you so much Tammy.  Yes, we do have to be willing to let God work on us.  It's not an easy process, but definitely a rewarding one.

Josef said...

"The best is yet to come" I receive that with thanksgiving my sister!!! Glory to Elohim!!!

Pilar Arsenec said...

Amen. Thank you for commenting. God bless you.

Tiffany Stuart said...

Hi Pilar, Love that you mentioned being childlike and living with wonder. I'm with you wanting to face my fears and do what He is inviting us to do. After all, we are HIS children. Always His daughters.

I can live and even thrive there. 

Pilar Arsenec said...

Hi Tiffany, thanks so much for reading my post and commenting.  Yes, we are His precious daughters. :)